Read it, don’t read it, I don’t care…just needed to get some things off my chest.
In no particular order of chronology or importance…
On the clock. My 20 minute work break/ sanity check.
I feel the need…the need for speed.
1) Great story with not the best ending. Adam Greenberg got an at bat in the Majors years ago. He was hit in the head on the very first pitch, got a concussion, developed vertigo, and has been fighting to make it back ever since. The Marlins signed him to a one day contract to do just that-give him one more major league AB. Well, it was a cute story, and STILL a good story…just not storybook. He laid off the first pitch, a called strike. He then swung the bat and missed on the next two pitches. Standing O, and still felt good to the bystanders. BUT. The poor kid made it back to bat against WHO??? RA Dickey, the knuckeball throwing, Cy Young to be, badass pitcher from the Mets. What crappy luck.
2) Drew Brees will try to break the tie with Johnny U this weekend by throwing a TD in 48 straight games. It is not exactly DeMaggio-esque, but is pretty awesome regardless. All of the changing defensive looks, all the years he has been doing it. 48 is pretty tight, Drew.
3) We graduate from a week where there were only two FBS showdowns all weekend to a week where the prime time game is South Carolina vs. Georgia. Good. I am there. And I better check to make sure I know the time of that Nebraska game so I miss the 3 hours of them infesting my watering hole.
4) Weird. The Yankees longest home run streak ever was by Reggie Jackson. That is expected. The weird part is that in the whole history of that franchise and the multitude of HOF’ers that have passed through, that the record is only SIX games.
5) The A’s are under payed parity at its best. Because of that, I guess I will not go off on them for letting their kids celebrate with champagne for clinching the one game wildcard playoff. I get it. Let the youngsters appreciate what they did with no virtually NO payroll.
6) The “thread” commercial by Levi’s is now officially REALLY irritating me. I don’t even know what the hell the chick is talking about. It is bothersome. Not as bothersome as that damn pig on that zipline a couple months ago, but still bothersome.
7) It sucks Lindsey is out of town this weekend for her OU away game, but the TV will get my undivided attention. (Salivating) WVA-Texas. Nebraska-Ohio State. Miami-LSU. Washington-Oregon. South Carolina-Georgia. Yay.
7a) AND the Steelers aren’t on a bye. I will not feel absolutely lost on Sunday.
8) I guess Bears fans are glad he is not out shooting people, and I guess we truly don’t know what goes on in the locker room, but Jay Cutler APPEARS more and more to be an idiot. Did you see him ignoring his OC the other night? http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/2012/10/01/jay-cutler-ignores-offensive-coordinator-mike-tice-on-sideline/
8a) Damn. That site is named “rant sports.” As KGB from Rounders would say. “Go away. This one not so good for you.”
9) I can honestly say that I don’t know what heartburn is. I am sure I have had it, but can’t say I know WHEN I have it. Confused.
10) The Cowboys Jerry Jones is “disappointed” about his team. Thanks, Jerry, for taking time out of your day to tell us that deep thought. Give Jack Handy a call. He might care.
11) The NHL and the Union not being successful in their talks has to be the quietest lockout I have even heard about. I literally forget that it is going on sometimes temporarily and then I see a headline that reminds me. Yes, I am more of a basketball, football, and baseball guy.
12) So McQueary testifies for the Sandusky case, and now is suing Penn State for defamation. Freaking America. Only here is there ALWAYS someone to blame.
13) Yay. Darko Milicic is back in the news for saying something stupid. For those who don’t recognize the name, all you need to know is that he was “the guy” drafted after LeBron, and before Melo and Wade. Yes, a draft bust. Anyway, he is on the Celtics, and has enlightened the media that it is all about team, he is motivated, and “he will kill someone on the court” if he has to this year to win. Dude, you better make sure you make the team before talking.
14) Ohio State and TCU have ended our sleepless nights by letting us know that they have signed off on a home and home series for the years 2018 and 2019. 2018 and ’19?????? If I wanted to put that in my Outlook calendar, does it even go that high in years??
15) A Philly guy was busted the other day selling drugs. Heroin bags marked with “LeBron James.” As a guy from the general Philly area, I am offended. No Moses Malone? No Dr. J? No Allen Iverson? Or how about being creative and taking my favorite old school Sixer…Andrew Toney. That is a nice pull.
16) Lindsey bought me my favorite bacon horseradish cream cheese from the store down the street. I had it on a bagel this morning. It was off the hook delicious.
17) The Nets Deron Williams ripped his squad for their 2011-2012 season. Dude, take it easy. You got Joe Johnson now. Show us with ACTION that you are mad at last year’s effort.
18) I think Taken 2 should be called Taken Again. I find it catchier. I somewhat got sucked into the first one last night…ummm…I mean I was purposely rewatching it to refresh my memory for the sequel.
18a) It is a lot of Bourne-like stuff going on in the flick. I forgot about the odd similarity to the Bourne scene where he jumps off the bridge. Sure, one was trying to get the bad guys, and one was trying to get away, but come on. TOO similar. Go pull a Mission Impossible and have a helicopter go through a tunnel if you are going that direction.
19) Good to see Darius Heyward-Bey back at practice for the Raiders after that scary hit against the Steelers. You can root against teams, but always root for health in a very dangerous game.
20 I hear that Apple has an iPod cover that allows you to text underwater. Unless you are a CEO who likes scuba diving for long periods of time, or a surfer with a day job, you don’t need it, people. Let it go. Be crazy and leave your phone on land for an hour.
21) That is it. Time’s up. Will I blog tomorrow? That is a CLOWN question, bro. Peace.