Read it, don’t read it, I don’t care…just needed to get some things off my chest.
In no particular order of chronology or importance…
A small catastrophe occurred yesterday. It HAD to happen at some point, given my low technology blog idea system. I LOST the yellow legal pad that I jot everything down on. So, not only did I have to start from scratch, and not only did I take the day off from blogging yesterday, but this one will most likely have less of the non sports hooks. Uggghhh. It was like a punch in the stomach when I figured out that I had lost it.
Anyway, on the clock today. Let’s turn and burn.
1) Because of the feedback I have gotten from it, I lead off sharing this HILARIOUS link again. Thanks for passing it along, Dave, and everyone thinks it is incredible. For your enjoyment: http://imgur.com/a/9H0Hv
2) I hear the NHL and players might resume talks sometime this week. They realize that this is time sensitive, right? You all seem pretty relaxed in setting up these meetings while fans are starting to freak out. Why don’t you all have an around the clock two day session to put the idea out there that you MIGHT care about this season?
3) Ahh. Life ins the SEC. South Carolina emphatically answers the call against Georgia Saturday and gets WHAT as a present? They have the luxury of traveling to LSU to play a night prime time game in THEIR crib. Since 1960, LSU is batting about .790 at night at home. I think South Carolina takes this one, though. They have a seasoned, talented QB, a Heisman quality rusher, good skill position guys outside, and a defensive line that is mulling people. I say they win by ten next week.
4) Drew Brees broke Johnny U’s record in STYLE. Congrats to that guy, and I wouldn’t blink on these guys. Something tells me we are going to be hearing a lot about the ’92 Chargers as this season progresses. Why, you ask? They are the only team to start out 0-4 and make the playoffs.
4a) When lined up, Brees says “Omaha” a LOT.
5) That Texas-WVA game Saturday night was a LOT of fun to watch. I feel bad for the people without a remote who couldn’t change over from the a%^whipping that was occurring in the prime time game. Geno Smith got beat up against a much tougher foe, but still managed to get the win and keep his Heisman hopes strong.
6) I guess Tom Brady is getting older and paying people off these days. Someone go check Willis McGahee’s mailbox for a check. Have you noticed how freaking SOLID the Broncos look when they get behind and then open up the playbook? That is with a team EXPECTING it. Imagine what they could do in the first half with that offense.
7) I guess we officially are at the 5 year cycle of asking ourselves “is Notre Dame BACK?”
8) The Atlanta Falcons are 5-0. I think this team is solid, and even though most people caring about ratings don’t want something like an Atlanta-Houston SB, it could very well happen. If you read the Matt Ryan part of the link in the first hook, then you know why I am still skeptical about the Falcons.
9) I don’t even know WHY it is funny, but it IS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8y0xpkdaNY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
10) It is a shame to see Robert Griffin go down in the game Sunday. Dude is going to be beat UP by the end of the year at this rate. Geez, even running QB Michael Vick got a COUPLE good years in before wear and tear slowed him down, and of course organizing dog fights. RGIII is a great talent. I hope that we at least get to find out if I am right or his fans are right WHILE he is in good health.
11) The top 5 in FBS just looks weird. Or maybe for the taking. Usually at this point in the season, we wonder HOW the 7 or 8 solid teams are going to separate. In this case, I see a lot of top teams with a long way to go, and if you throw out Bama and Oregon’s schedule, I just see some pretty decent teams with definitive weaknesses.
12) Jim Tracy resigns from the Rockies. Sure, they have given away some players, and injuries also have hurt them, but living here in Denver, it seems a LONG time ago since that magical run to the World Series. A quality guy, and good coach, but it is time to move on.
13) I am wearing my $6 clearance rack white cargo shorts today at work. WHY haven’t I ever owned white shorts? I like them.
14) Indy and Andrew Luck coming back was one thing. The medical condition of their owner down the street, the fact that it was the Pack, and HOW it happened made it freaking magical. If Luck gets good and goes to the HOF someday, THIS was the weekend where he made a statement and warned us.
15) Cam Newton is looking pretty average these days. You can tell me that after last year that he is just going to get better and better. I would compare it more to a new pitcher getting to face the same MLB lineup the second time around. Adjustments are made, and things aren’t “new” anymore.
16) Anyone notice that the Yankees look a little more confident and like their old selves with Ichiro batting leadoff? He just gives them that element and THAN some they were missing this year. Veteran, speedster, awesome batter, defensive expert, winner.
17) Even though I carry it wherever I go, I am sticking with my conspiracy theory that Chapstick actually CAUSES chapped lips and just SAYS it helps them so you buy it.
18) Joey Altidore was left off the US Soccer National Team today. I don’t like it. The ONE thing that the US should have on its squad with its heritage is speed, and I sure as hell don’t see much of it around outside of him. This is a big loss and wrong decision in my book.
19) Troy Polamalu gets hurt again in an ugly win against Philly. I am tired of him getting re-injured. Maybe we should just let him sit for extra time so when he returns, he is all there. Very frustrating that a talent that literally changes everything on the field can’t get healthy.
20) I got a haircut this weekend. Does anyone else literally get SLEEPY every time during a haircut? I could easily take a nap each time.
21) This 2-3 format is stupid in the MLB playoffs. I am just saying that statement in a hook every rant because I believe it is.
22) The Cardinals RB Ryan Williams is out for the season. With Beanie Wells already down for the first part of the season, and now Williams out, I might be googling whoever they put in there.
23) It is that time (it is ALWAYS that time actually) to start looking at preseason college basketball rankings. I get Indiana, and of course the UK cheater will be there, but the fact that Louisville is ranked #2 already indicates to me we are in for a CRAZY tournament next year. Kuric left, and I don’t know who they think is going to shoot it from outside, so there are a LOT of teams with large weaknesses, making for a fun, fun year.
24) That is it. My quick 25 minute work break/ sanity check. Finishing up work, and glad that Lindsey is back from the exciting town of Lubbock, TX. Will I blog tomorrow? That is a CLOWN question, bro. Peace.