Read it, don’t read it, I don’t care…just needed to get some things off my chest.
In no particular order of chronology or importance…
ON the clock. Quick day rant as we head into championship night.
1) We have today to hype the championship game, tomorrow to recap, and then Wednesday becomes 24/7 coverage of The Masters. It will be a GREAT sports week. You will hear all about Tiger while households across the land get to know Tianlang Guan. Don’t know him? You will. Trust me. The kid won an amateur tournament to get entry into The Masters, and will become the youngest player EVER to compete at a Major. He is 14 years old and 160 pounds soaking wet.
2) The Hall of Fame announced their entrants for 2013 today. Rick Pitino finally gets in, Gary Payton gets in with no titles because of some dudes named Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, John Stockton, and Karl Malone, and Dawn Staley joins the group. Why do I care about Dawn Staley? Because she is a Wahoo, and at the time made it cool for a guy to get scored on by a girl in pickup. She was a TOUGH guard back in the day and got me to respect certain women players. I had more fun guarding her than those darn Burge twins.
Remember those two, Scott? Ugghhh.
3) The zone didn’t hold up as Michigan beat Syracuse Saturday. Michigan has the weapons to beat anyone out there, and the fact that they turn over the ball less than any other NCAA team helped their cause. As they said during the game, “the zone doesn’t exist if you beat it down the floor.” Plus, now we at least know who the hell Spike Albrecht is. Nice couple of bombs, kid.
4) Wichita State gave UL all they could handle, but just ran out of juice down stretch. They belonged there obviously, and handled the press better than a lot of teams. Pitino even told Marshall afterwards that they were the best team they faced this year. In THEIR version of a random freshman supplying points, Tim Henderson got some playing time and made the most of it, with his bombs warding off any chance of a Wichita State comeback.
5) Who will win? Michigan does have the ball handling to handle the press, and they won’t be afraid to run with UL. That being said, I think the depth is too much for Michigan. This should be high scoring and a very exciting for even non basketball folks. Michigan is fearless, and I think they will give UL a serious run. Once again though, I think Michigan runs out of gas down the stretch. Will I be surprised if Michigan wins? No. Will it happen? I don’t think so. Pitino is too close with too good of team to blow this one. Give me Louisville 77-71. He will be the first man ever to win titles with two different teams. Pretty impressive.
6) OK. I am now paying attention to you, New York Knicks. That was a pretty impressive win over OKC for your 12th straight. You are now healthy, are playing better defense, and Melo has that ability to put a team on his shoulders.
7) Have we ever figured out what Meatloaf won’t do in that 12 minute song?
8) I don’t like Nebraska football, don’t like most Nebraska fans, but this is pretty classy and the early leader in the clubhouse for best moments in 2013: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/07/jack-hoffman-touchdown-nebraska-spring-cancer_n_3033583.html
9) Did you see how many nice things Rutgers did for fired AD Timothy Pernetti as he exited? The dude is set for a while even without a job. Those luxuries kind of take off the concrete firing statement to the world. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out…and here is $1.2 miliion, an iPad, car allowance, etc.
10) I am sure Russell Wilson just LOVES the light rumors about Tim Tebow going to Seattle.
11) The UCONN women beat the Irish to go to the final game against Louisville. So, in case you are curious, they already played the championship basically with Baylor already out of it.
12) Stephen Strasburg has dropped his first game. It is a long season, and there is no cause for alarm, but giving up 6 EARNED runs to the Reds shows a little loss of focus for this early in the season
13) That is it. I might write a mini one tonight before the game. Otherwise, will I blog tomorrow? That is a CLOWN question, bro. Enjoy the game tonight. Peace.