Read it, don’t read it, I don’t care…just needed to get some things off my chest.
In no particular order of chronology or importance…
Let’s turn and burn.
On the clock again today.
1) Cal Ripken’s mom was kidnapped today, and then returned after the robber just taking her money and the car. Safe to say that the guy spends too much time robbing people and not enough time over the last 30 years watching any sports. The event occurred IN the Baltimore area, and there were no signs the guy knew who she was. Dude is watching the news and really mad right now he didn’t advance the sale to a little ransom game. I guess he hasn’t gotten to that level yet.
2) QB Tate Martelli just verbally committed to the University of Washington. Why is this news, as we prepare for real, live football in about two months? Why does no one on that present roster care? Because they won’t be there when he arrives. The kid is 14 years old. I don’t even care much about that as things like this have happened before. What I am bothered by is they didn’t even let the kid hit a hopeful growth spurt before signing him on (technically they sign him on until 2017). The dude is 5’11”. Last thing I knew, there aren’t a hell of a lot of Doug Flutie’s running around over the last two decades.
3) The Steelers and Mike Wallace have broken off talks again. Aside from the fact that this hurts me as the most diehard fan I know, this makes me step away and decide that this is the poor man’s version of the Dwight Howard affair. The fact that I just wrote that ALREADY makes me want to make it end.
4) The Phillies just signed on Cole Hamels for 6 years and $144 mil. So, Philly. You are telling me that you were thinking about not paying him and letting him walk and THEN turn around and OVERPAY him. I can’t wait for 3 years from now when Phillies fans (including me) are saying what COULD have been if we hadn’t overpaid Hamels AND Howard. At least they have a batter AND pitcher in that position. Maybe in some weird way, it evens out. Confused.
5) I know that premier running backs aren’t treated like they used to be treated because of injuries and trends, but how Jacksonville, who already is a bad team, is not saddling up and paying Maurice Jones-Drew is beyond me. Dude is legit, a class act, and a hard worker. Guess they are trying to make the grass on the other side of the fence REAL green.
6) We are getting close to Stephen Strasburg “shutdown” time. Washington DC hasn’t rioted in a while as far as I know, and if they are in first place when they do it, someone better go guard some memorials, monuments, and parks.
7) A guy I used to sit RIGHT next to at my job is all over the news for arson and murder…like a year after I have last seen him. I thought the guy was one of the nicest guys I had ever met. Crazy stuff.
8) Silas Redd hasn’t decided, but me and LL Cool J both have the same opinion. Dude is going back to cali…cali…cali…(I know. It doesn’t make sense because he grew up in Norwalk, Connecticut, but I really wanted to mention that song for some reason…make it work in your head)
9) The Olympics are just getting going. I am excited for everything, but swimming, basketball, and track and field catch my eye the most. I am anxious to see if Ryan Lochte is a thorn in Phelps’ side, if the basketball team loses as I expect to either Spain or Argentina, and to see if our sprinters can put a dent in the top 2 or 3 of that Jamaican crew.
10) The PIRATES are BUYERS. Wow. They just picked up pitcher Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros, who are always sellers in the latter half of my present life. I like the pickup a LOT. Not monumental, but solid and a step forward nevertheless for a franchise who hasn’t been good since before Bonds started using roids.
11) The Dodgers, fighting for supremacy in the NL West, just got Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins. My questions is THIS. After all the moves the Marlins made in the offseason, why the hell are THEY sellers??
12) The Minnesota Timberwolves are trying to acquire Andrei Kirilenko. Not only would it be a good pick up to help Kevin Love out, but we would get one of the most lovable characters in the NBA BACK in the NBA. Why is Andrei so fun? It is actually his wife who is fun. She made public that to battle the riggers of NBA travel life and persuasions, she allows him to sleep with someone else exactly once a year.
13) ARod is out with a broken hand after getting hit by a pitch. The Yankees are not going to replace him with a picked up player. I like the choice. Boston is out of the mix somewhat, Tampa they know very well, and the other two pretenders they are not worried about. Plus, the Yankees wanted the feeling for the first time ever of actually standing pat.
14) That is it. Time is up. 7:51. Will I blog tomorrow? That is a CLOWN question, bro… Peace.